Recipe: White chocolate and passion fruit soufflé
Looking for a light, summer dessert to serve your guests? Executive Chef of The Marine, Chad Blows has just the recipe.
Passion fruit, known as granadilla in South Africa is a prolific summer fruit, which is loaded with health benefits: it's a rich source of antioxidants, minerals and vitamins. Its sweet tart flavour is complemented by the bright, nutty white chocolate.
Or, let our chefs make it for you at The Pavilion.
- 170g good quality white chocolate
- 10g corn flour
- 60g castor sugar
- 150g egg whites
- 2 chopped cardamom pods
- 50g fresh passion fruit pulp
- 1 tsp passion fruit aroma
- 150g milk
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl
- Bring the milk, passion fruit aroma and cardamom to the boil in a sauce pan. Make a paste with the cornflour and a bit of water and add this to your infused milk.
- Cookout the cornflour for about 2-3 mins continuously whisking.
- Add your milk mix to the melted white chocolate
- Make a stiff peak meringue with the egg whites and castor sugar.
- Add a 1/3 of the meringue and passion fruit pulp to the chocolate mixture and whisk.
- Carefully fold the remaining meringue to the mixture.
- With a pastry brush butter 5 medium sized ramekins and dust with castor sugar
- Fill the ramekins to the rim with the soufflé mix and bake for 12-14mins at 180°C until risen and golden brown.
- Serve with passion fruit ice cream and crumble
What do you think of this recipe? Talk to us in the comments.